The Book Awards for Children and Young Adults 2014 are over. And for the last time under the New Zealand Post Banner as after all those years of wonderful and generous sponsorship that finished on Monday night.
It was a glittering and memorable evening from the moment Barbara Else, the chief judge, looking elegant and calm as always made the initial remarks to the final announcement of the NZ Post Margaret Mahy Book of the Year.
The tables were set with a true ‘wonderland’ theme which included a green iced cake under a glass dome on every table with a large notice simply saying ‘Eat Me’’ – which we did…
I had hoped to get some equally glittering and memorable photos of the ceremony but unfortunately the light never seemed to be right when I whipped out my iPad and the results were not what I had dreamed of with such exciting material to work with.
|Fleur Beale and Paula Green before the Award Ceremony|
|Catherine Foreman (on the right) before the Award Ceremony|
Here are the final results pasted here with real congratulations to the writers and illustrators – but always remember – to have reached the shortlist also comes under the heading of being a winner.
- MARGARET MAHY BOOK OF THE YEAR - The boring book by Vasanti Unka Penguin Group Puffin NZ
- BEST YOUNG ADULT FICTION - Mortal fire by Elizabeth Knox Gecko Press
- BEST NON-FICTION - Beginner's guide to hunting and fishing in New Zealand by Paul Adamson Random House
- BEST JUNIOR FICTION - Dunger by Joy Cowley Gecko Press
- HONOUR AWARD, JUNIOR FICTION - Bugs by Whiti Hereaka Huia NZ Ltd
- BEST PICTURE BOOK - The boring book by Vasanti Unka Penguin Group Puffin NZ
- BEST FIRST BOOK - A necklace of souls by RL Stedman Harper Voyager
- CHILDREN'S CHOICE - The three bears... sort of by Yvonne Morrison and Donovan Bixley Scholastic NZ