Thursday 15 October 2015

A dingle-dangle scarecrow brought to life by Jenny Cooper and the Topp Twins



NZ Illustrator  (words from an Old English Children’s Song)
Jenny Cooper illustrator/ CD  - words sung by the Topp Twins
Dingle-Dangle Scarecrow
Scholastic 2015 $21.00pb 24pp
ISBN 978 1 7754 3194 7
Themes: Children’s songs/ Farm animals/ Nighttime/ Stories in rhyme
 What story could be more simple than that of the Dingle- Dangle Scarecrow who can shake his feet and hands all night long then, when the farm animals begin to wake for a new day, flop down and go to sleep? All the children I have shared this with so far have found it totally hilarious  (so did I) and have really appreciated the chance to shout VERY LOUDLY ‘I’m a dingle-dangle scarecrow with a flippy-floppy hat’.  There is the charm of Jenny Cooper’s perfectly ‘matching’ images and a special bonus of a sing-along with the ever ebullient Topp Twins and their guitars on the attached CD. A thoroughly cheerful experience for everyone! 
Preschool up/ Age 3 up

Note: I was so enchanted by this story and by sharing it that when I wrote the first post about it I imagined this was all happening in the daytime. Not so and I have now removed that post. Sorry for any confusion.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment