Friday 18 July 2014

Young Adult Fiction


To be released August 1ST 2014

THE SEQUEL TO I AM NOT ESTHER


NZ Writer
Fleur Beale
I am Rebecca
Random House 2014  $19.99pb 251pp
ISBN 978 1 7755 3549 2
Themes:  Cult Communities/ Sequels


Remember Esther who managed to ‘escape’ the emotional and physical ties of the strict religious sect in which she found herself way back in 1998 in the much read and admired story I am Not Esther? What happened to the family Esther left behind? In this sequel we hone in on the feelings and actions of the family particularly Rebecca and to a certain extent, her twin sister, Rachel as they try to negotiate the already heady trials of simply being a teenager. For them it is complicated by the closeted environment in which they live and the ever present presence of their all-powerful father. He is a meticulously drawn character whose every word they obey without question. Don’t listen to him we want to scream at the girls as yet another milestone in their lives is thwarted. This is totally addictive reading with some almost unbearable twists and turns in the plot. And, yes, Esther does appear several times!
Recommended.
Year 9 up/ Age 13 up



IT’S ALMOST TOO MUCH.
I began the week by reading Joy Cowley’s Speed of light. I have just finished
 I am Rebecca and now, beside my bed to start tonight is Anna Mackenzie’s sequel to Cattra’s Legacy – Donnel’s Promise.
What riches! I MUST have an early night.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea of Fleur Beale's to do a sequel to 'I am not Esther'. It is such a powerful novel that engages both boys and girls - a sequel will be sought after. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete