Thursday 7 March 2013

Picture Books

-->
Swedish Writer and illustrator
Ole Konnecke
Anton And The Battle
Gecko Press 2013        $34.99hb   32pages
ISBN 978 1 8775 7926 4
Themes:  Sequels/ Strength/ Verbal battles



Anything Luke can do Anton can do better. And louder. And with much more strength. Their claims of bravado become more and more over the top until  - along comes a small brown puppy and both boys end up in a tree. I found this a really perceptive and realistic story as the little boys’ claims are acted out in most preschools and primary playgrounds every day. I loved Anton Can Do Magic  (Gecko Press 2011) but I think I loved this present title even more. Great for sharing and for starting some ‘battles’ about what we feel we can do better than anyone else. 
Preschool up/ Age 3 up


NEWS FLASH!!
I was talking to (well, emailing) Elena de Roo yesterday (The Rain Train/ Ophelia Wild, Secret Spy) and she told me her first novel for upper primary, early secondary readers has been accepted by Walkers, Australia. Tentatively called The Winning Name, it is due for publication early next year. I was privileged to be able to read it in manuscript form and I am convinced this will be a popular read for Year 7 up

 


 Elena in the Te Papa flax garden September 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment