Sunday 30 October 2016

Illuminae - the sequel


Australian Writers 
Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Gemina  - The Illuminae files - 02
Allen & Unwin 2016    $25.00pb 659pp
ISBN 9 781 9252 6657 3
Themes: Series/ Space stations/ Survival (of course!)  
There have been so many stories over the years about space stations and the survival of the universe that I must confess I did pick this one up (and it is a weighty book with its 650 pages) with a bit of trepidation. I am not a space story addict. However, from about three pages in, the unusual combination of emails/ photos/transcripts/ IMs and schematics and above all the youthful energy and wit of the writers who have brought it all together had me totally in thrall. I couldn’t wait to go on reading and looking as soon as I had a spare moment (and ordering the first book Illuminae). Hanna - the once social butterfly-  and Nik the not so enthusiastic member of an active crime family, make characters we care about as they prepare to defend their home. I predict this will be a book young adult readers will either reject out of hand or will fall upon it, read it to death (library copies will get very worn after a couple of issues)  and clamour loudly for more.
Year 8 up/ Age 12 up    

No comments:

Post a Comment