Saturday 14 November 2015

More about From the Cutting Room of Barney Kettle


I had an interesting comment left on my Blog after I had posted the short review of From the Cutting Room of Barney Kettle yesterday. I have tried (quite hard) to reply in the ‘comment box’ but I don’t know what it is about me and Blogs  - it simply won’t go through – or maybe it has and I just can’t see it.  I wrote yesterday I felt the book was probably more for adults and some senior students - a view shared by several other reviewers. The comment was that the book is being displayed in the Junior Fiction section of the writer’s local bookshop. My feeling is that the person responsible for deciding where material should be displayed and who has not actually read the book, has looked at either the blurb or the first chapter, seen it is about a thirteen year old boy and thought ‘ah ha Junior Fiction’ and placed it on those shelves.
This happens a lot I find and particularly with sophisticated picture books in primary schools where wonderful titles which because of their format and ‘look’ but intended for a much older age group will be placed in a New Entrant picture book box and left there to languish…Is there an answer? I don’t know. 



No comments:

Post a Comment